Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week is the Top Ten Character Names I Love or Top Ten Unusual Character Names.
I think characters names are extremely important in books. Great character names make a good book even better. While bad character names can ruin even the best book. So here are my top character names that I loved.
- Karou from Daughter of Smoke & Bone. I love this name. And let’s face it, if Karou had a normal name like Jane or Sally it would not have fit in with the book.
- Blue from The Raven Boys. This falls under the category of unusual. I’m not normally a fan of character with names that are colors, months, or places, but in this instance it worked very well.
- Phèdre nó Delaunay and Melisande Shahrizai from Kushiel’s Dart. These are just two of the characters in this books whose names I loved. Though I have to admit that with some many complex names, especially with some of them being quite similar, it was hard to remember who was who for a part of the book.
- Faraday, Axis and Gorgrael from The Wayfarer Redemption. This book, and series for that matter, is another that has lots of great names within it. There are too many that I like in this series to list them all here.
- Corr from The Scorpio Races. Corr is the capaill uisce that Sean rides in this books. It’s not overly unusual but I thought it just fit him so perfectly that I grew to love the name as much as I did the character.
- Puck from The Scorpio Races. I’m not normally a fan of characters using nicknames. However in this case I loved the name and found it very appropriate that Kate went by Puck more often than her given name. She did things that no other girl would, so it made sense for her to go by the name she wanted to go by.
But let’s not forget about those names that just make me cringe. So here’s a few that left me cringing or shaking my head at.
- Ananna from The Assassin’s Curse. Every time her name popped up in this book I kept thinking it was Banana. Therefore it’s a bad name.
- Utah, Rap and Tor from Eternal Pleasures. While all the shapeshifters names in this book were very bad short forms of the dinosaur they turned into the triplets names had me shaking my head real hard.
Well those are all the names that I loved, hated and thought to be unusual. What character names do you love or think are unusual?