Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week is the Ten Reasons I Love Gardening.
Since I was little I loved to do gardening. But I would like to point out that I don’t grow flowers, I find them a waste of garden space, except for Marigolds since they are great pest control. What I do grow is vegetables and lots of them. So here are the reasons why I love gardening.
- It gets me outside. Our summer is far too short up here, so while I already make an effort to spend lots of time outside during the summer, the garden gives me extra incentive to do so.
- It’s good exercise. Digging, pulling seeds, hauling bags of dirt and just walking around my large garden keep me in shape.
- It’s therapeutic. If I’m having a bad day or need some alone time, the garden gives me a great sense of peace. It can also help me work out my frustration while ripping weeds out.
- It gives me something to do. I lead a seriously boring life. So having the garden gives me an excuse to go out and do something. Bonus being that I don’t have to interact with people (introvert here).
- It gives us healthy stuff to eat. There’s nothing better than walking out into the back yard and bringing in a bunch of beans, or tomatoes or carrots and knowing that I grew them. They even taste better.
- It’s a great reading area. Sometimes I like to sit in the garden area and read. It’s nice to look up from the pages and see this lush oasis of food just feet away from me.
- I can pass it onto my son. While I prefer to do all the gardening myself, I do make sure my son comes out and helps me. He really enjoys it and loves the end result. Knowing I’m teaching him an important skill is well worth it.
Well, I didn’t quite make it to ten, but gardening is a wonderful activity and I encourage everyone to do it. Even if it is just to grow a few flowers or something small in a pot.