Welcome to Shelf Talk, a bi-weekly discussion post that covers a variety of topics including, but not limited to, gardening, video games, cooking, crafting and of course books. If you have any suggestions for topics that you would like to see on future Shelf Talk posts, leave it in the comments or send me an email, and I’ll do my best to cover that topic in the future.
I figured I might as well start this thing off by introducing myself. Though I have been blogging here for almost four years now, I haven’t really gone out of my way to share a lot about myself. So to remedy that, I am sharing 15 Facts About Myself.
- I Love Bread. No, I don’t think you understand. I LOVE bread. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and because of that I eat way too much of it. Nothing beats going to the kitchen and pulling out a slice of bread, especially if it’s homemade, and just eating it. No need for butter or jam, I eat it plain. Honestly, if I don’t ration it out, I can easily eat half a load of bread in a day and that’s clearer way too much bread. And now I want bread.
- I Have Moved 8 Times. Most of those moves, as in 6 of them, happened in over a 5 year period. While I’m not a fan of the town we live in now, I’m both looking forward to and dreading whenever we do more. Too many books to pack!
- I Have To Wear Glasses. Legally, I have to wear them while driving. Otherwise, you will never see me where them because I absolutely hate wearing glasses.
- I Love Grasshoppers. Not only did my uncle nickname me Grasshopper when I was little, but he stills calls me that to this day. Stranger still my boss, from when I worked at Walmart (who oddly enough also looked and sounded like my uncle), randomly decided to start calling me Grasshopper as well. I own a stuffed grasshopper toy and two small plastic grasshoppers. I’m pretty sure the Grasshopper is also my spirit animal.
- Until Recently, I Couldn’t Cook. Up until about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, I could barely accomplish anything in the kitchen. Even the most simplest of meals was way too difficult for me. Now however, I cook all the time, trying new meals regularly and increasing the difficulty of what I make. On top of that, I also make a lot of things from scratch, including snacks like crackers, granola bars, etc.
- I Was A Corpse Disposal Technician. Well, that’s what my husband calls it. I actually went to school to become a funeral director, but left that career path after my internship and became a stay-at-home mom. While I enjoyed the work, I don’t really miss it.
- My Favorite Color Is Purple. But I’m picky about it. I don’t care for the lighter purples that look far too close to pick. Really it’s lavender and royal purple that are my favorites, but (almost) all purples are great.
- I Hate The Heat. I could never stand the heat as a kid and I can stand it less so now that I’m an adult. Anything over 75F and I’m dying. Of course, I also don’t like the cold, but at least that is easier to deal with since you can always add another layer for warmth.
- I Own Over 1000 Books. You read that right. I own over 1000 books. Now a chunk of those are non-fiction books that I read in my teens, but most are novels and the majority of those I haven’t read yet. But don’t worry I’m working on it, one book at a time.
- I Was Bullied As A Kid. It’s not something I like to talk about it, but the fact is that I was severely bullied for basically all of public and high school. And it wasn’t just the kids I went to school with, my parents and grandparents also joined in on the bullying. This is the main reason I am so socially awkward and tend to avoid people as much as I can.
- I Don’t Wear Makeup. In fact, I haven’t worn makeup in about 10 years. I just never felt right wearing it, though my mother forced me to put it on during my high school years. I am now makeup free and love it, blemishes and all.
- I’m Terrified Of Spiders. No, just no. I do not like them one bit. I see one and I am running in the opposite direction. And if I accidentally walk into a web…I’m just done for the day! No amount of frantic wiping will get it all off!
- I Enjoy Video Games. I liked playing video games as a kid. In fact, I distinctly remember losing hours to the game Rainbow Fish on our old Commodore 64. Then I moved on to games like King’s Quest and Legend of Kyrandia, and my love grew into a slight obsession. My World of Warcraft years were a blur of grinding levels and raiding bosses. I’ve since taken a bit step back from video games, though I certainly do still enjoy playing them, especially Star Wars: The Old Republic.
- I Judge Books By Their Covers. I’ve done it for years, I’m almost always right and I will probably continue to do it. Though I have gotten better in the last few years and I will read a book that has an ugly cover as long as the premise sounds good. But it does leave a dirty taste in my mouth.
- I Dislike Making Lists Like This One. Seriously, it should not have been all that hard to come up with 15 facts about myself. Yet it took me way too long. In fact, this was originally going to be 25 facts, but after struggling to reach 11, I decided to make it a more manageable number. I guess the side effect of leading an exceedingly boring life is, that there is not much to say about it.