Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week is the Ten Books That Feature Characters That Are Non-Humans.
A lot of books that I read, and I’m sure everyone else reads, focuses on human or humanoid characters. So I thought it would be fun to list books that I have read, and a few that I haven’t, where non-human characters play a major role, if not are the main character of the book.
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. I had to start the list off with Black Beauty, after all, this is essentially an autobiography of a horse, told by the horse.
- Watership Down by Richard Adams. This one is all about bunnies and was one of those surprise reads for me years ago, because I didn’t expect it to be good but man was it fantastic.
- The Black Stallion by Walter Farley. A series about a race horse and the boy who rides him. I have read nearly all the book in this series and really enjoyed them as a kid, and even rereading them as an adult was enjoyable.
- White Magic Trilogy by Caitlin Brennan. Horses play a major roll in this fantasy series.
- Misty Series by Marguerite Henry. Big shock, another book series that focuses on horses. I was/still am in love with horses, so of course nearly every book on this list is about horses. These books, as well as her other horse books, were major reasons why I developed a love of reading.
Well, I didn’t quite make it to ten, but that’s fine. Any books you can think of that have animals/non-humans as main characters?